Saturday, December 13, 2008

On Anti-Americanism, Politics, and Being in DC

Ok, no one likes Bush. The U.S. has gotten the memo. During my last year in France I stopped being American after receiving constant bashing at bars, dinner parties and the classroom. I started telling people I was from Finland. Don't get me wrong, I like my country. The U.S. has some good things going for it. I mean the sheer diversity and liberty in the states is hard to beat (and yes, in many many ways I think France is MORE conservative than the U.S. - but that's another soapbox for another day). BUT after being the blunt of countless jokes and enduring mindless questions/comment (e.g. But you cannot be American - you are not fat! Do you eat McDonalds every day? Do you love Bush and want to make his babies? I liked you but I don't think I can associate with an imperialist pig), I decided it would be much easier to be from somewhere else. People believed me. I didn't encounter a single person who spoke Finnish - although I wish I had, I could have learned a thing or two.

Anyway, so there's no escaping American politics in Washington. I mean, Washington IS American politics. I couldn't be more dissatisfied with a place. Every person you meet wants to know your political affiliation (I'm independent, thanks), your alma mater (Penn State) and, of course, your opinion on Obama (I voted for him, but my vote as absentee thus didn't count...). When people ask these questions, I can't pull out the old "I'm a foreigner" trick anymore. I have to have an opinion for the masses. My problem is that unless you've earned my respect, I don't feel like debating with you; because friendly chats over drinks usually turn into debates. I digress.

No comments:

Disclaimer

All opinions contained herein are the exclusive property of Elizabeth Zarrouati, and in no way reflect the beliefs or attitudes of, but not limited to, the United States Government, the French Government, the Australian government, nor any government entity in the U.S., France, Australia or anywhere else in the world where I happen to be. All writing and original images on I Endorse Bread and Typos ©2008 of I Endorse Bread and Typos unless otherwise indicated. All rights reserved.