Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Those Grey Lines

At what point do you tell your boss he is wrong?

I am a young female. While I have a head on my shoulders, I tend to be more timid than my male counterparts. I don't want to be labeled "bitch," "know-it-all," or "haughty." Bosses scare me. I really should get over it.

I had never been a private consultant before. I'm still not sure what private consultants actually do. Basically I was a data entry temp. At $10/hr. I also did academic and public policy research and had to do stats. SPSS kicked my butt. When they asked me to translate French to English, I said no probs mobs but you're going to have to pay me extra for that. The translation was 6000 words. I ended up with only $.08 a word. AND it was English to French. French is NOT my native language. They got a great deal.

Anyway, so my boss gave me some screwed up statistics to work with. Apparently the United States is part of Europe and 10 million Syrians are yearly leaving home. I discretely tried to tell him. No response. Nothing. Oh, and I was explicitly told to use ONLY the statistical information he provided.

He received the results of my research based on his statistics Monday. He flipped. Good thing I was never hired (in fact they never interviewed me but that's another story) because I think I may have been fired. Opps.

I learned a lot guys, thanks! Do you tell all your private consultants that work contracts aren't necessary? I will never make that mistake again. Please pay me!!!

No comments:

Disclaimer

All opinions contained herein are the exclusive property of Elizabeth Zarrouati, and in no way reflect the beliefs or attitudes of, but not limited to, the United States Government, the French Government, the Australian government, nor any government entity in the U.S., France, Australia or anywhere else in the world where I happen to be. All writing and original images on I Endorse Bread and Typos ©2008 of I Endorse Bread and Typos unless otherwise indicated. All rights reserved.